Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Week 10

Last week of the Senior Research Project! 🎉 🎉 🎉

On Monday we had a joint lab meeting, where I got to hear about the research of another lab in the building. They are studying depression using mice models. After that we had a meeting with just the Gallitano lab, where we discussed the different lab projects going on currently. I was told I should present my Senior Research Project Powerpoint at the next lab meeting, so I need to prepare for that!

The lab manager also called the company that makes the DNA and enzymes for the DNA ladder we were trying to make, and they recommended we try a different concentration of buffer. We will try this on Wednesday (hopefully it won't be our 7th failure?).

There isn't much for me to do in the lab now, but during the first week of May I will help with a series of behavioral tests on the mice, and in the second week of May, I will be taught how to do immunohistochemistry. That is where you use antibodies to tag specific proteins on the cell surface and then use other antibodies that fluoresce to tag the first ones, so when you look at the tissue sample under the fluorescent light it fluoresces where the antibodies are. Here is a pretty picture to explain it better.

Anyway, a lot of the cool stuff I will be doing from now on will be after the Senior Project is over. For now I am mostly helping with the DNA testing.

_______________________________________________

Well we tried the DNA ladder.... and it wasn't a complete failure? There were two faint bands of DNA, which means the enzymes are working (yay!) but there should be 8 bands, which means the enzymes didn't finish digesting the DNA. On Friday we will try giving the enzymes more time to break up the DNA, and hopefully that will work.

______________________________________________

Last day of the SRP!

Well not really for me, because I am coming back next week for the lab meeting and then more over the summer.

Today I did a PCR (polymerase chain reaction) which makes more copies of the DNA, and then ran a gel to test the DNA of some mice. Also, we found out the DNA ladder will need to stay overnight for it to be fully digested by the enzymes.

Overall, my experience in the lab has been great. I learned so much about work in the lab, and it was a lot of fun!

Goodbye!


13 comments:

  1. Hey Serena! Very interesting post today! I was wondering how you ran the behavioral tests you mentioned? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not helped with any of the behavioral trials yet. As I said, I will be helping run these tests in May. I don't know much about the specific tests that will be performed, but I know one of the tests will be a "Y Maze" test, where mice are placed in a maze shaped like a Y, and researchers count the number of times they enter a new arm of the maze rather than one they were just in.

      Delete
  2. Hi Serena! It's already the last week! I have really enjoyed your project and I hope you've enjoyed your experience at the lab! And immunohistochemistry sounds interesting! Will it be used for the mice model study you are currently doing, or a new project that they will assign you to? And I am glad that the DNA ladder worked out more or less. I hope the next one is even more successful! I am glad that I just finished studying DNA technology in AP Biology, since I can appreciate your project more. In my opinion, you did an extremely good job on your senior project. Thank you for sharing with us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Serena!
    I'm so happy to hear that you had a great experience in the lab and thatyou learned a lot! I was wondering, how does the testing for depression in mice models differ from schizophrenia in mice? Also, what will be the main point of your presentation?
    It was a pleasure to follow your blogs throughout these past ten weeks! I hope everything keeps going well!

    Julie Loison

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Serena! It's so nice to hear that you'll be continuing your research throughout the summer! I loved following your blog over the last 10 weeks, and I hope to hear more about your research over the summer! Good luck!

    Sophia Vaidya

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Serena! I've learned so much by following you through your experience. I think it is really great that not only are you committed to your project, but you are willing to continue working in the lab over the summer! After working in the lab for 10 weeks, is there anything that stood out to you or surprised you?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Serena! I've learned a ton about DNA and procedures through your blog, so thank you! Best of luck with your presentation! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Serena! Thank you so much for your blog! It really is great! I was wondering if you are planning to continue your research. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Serena, thank you for all your insightful posts and I wish you the best of luck for the rest of your time with the project! I have learned a lot about behaviors produced under certain conditions and I want to thank you for that.
    Hope the rest of you research goes just as great.

    ReplyDelete
  9. hey serena, thank you for all your posts throughout this project, they have been a real eyeopener. i am glad you finally got the ladders to work. i hope the rest of your research goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's cool that you will continue your internship after SRP ends. It's been fascinating hearing about the research each week. Looking forward to your presentation!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, you're doing such great work, Serena! I'm so happy for you that you get to continue it. Maybe you'll be able to get the DNA ladders to work. It's been lovely reading your blog each week and I look forward to your presentation!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Am one of the happiest Father on earth,My son once suffered from the problem Schizophrenia which made him not to go to school,and that was killing his educational carrier.he can not control his emotions,always having noises on his head affect how he thinks, feels and acts,he has taken different medication,but no cure,then i got the contact of a doctor who helped my son. he gave me the medication which my son used, he took the medication for one month,and that was the end of the problem.he can now control his emotions,no more severely distorted self-image and feeling worthless acts, his thinking is normal and no more voices on his head any more.any one that need his medication should contact the Doctor on drjohnson958@gmail.com or Whatsapp him on +1(518) 675-6082 .

    ReplyDelete